Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Viability Test #1



Today we went in for our viability test. The appointment was at 9am and we saw Shelley who is the nurse practitioner. She is who I normally see for my annuals so I'm comfortable with her. Dr. Johansen said she does lots of viability tests so is very good at it too.

We had the ultrasound and all she could really see was the beginnings of a yolk sac. Same thing we saw first ultrasound with Belle. She decided to do some blood work to see if my hcg hormon levels matched what the ultrasound looked like. And it did. She called me back later that day and my levels are at 4732 which she said confirms her thoughts that I'm around 5 weeks pregnant and all they would really see right now would be... well what we saw. :)

I looked up online and found this hcg chart:
3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml


But the really good news is that the sac is in the uterus and that my tubes and ovaries are clear. So if nothing else then at least it is not ectopic. She said for me to come back in next week for another ultrasound and we should see a flicker of a fetus by then.

She took a couple pictures of the sac while she was doing the ultrasound for my file. I noticed her put a couple spares in the trash before she left so being the sentimental freak I am I grabbed them. :) There is nothing really to see, but someday I hope to look back and say "hey... that's where **** started to grow."

I asked her a few questions about medication I'm taking and vitamins. I also asked about exercise. Moderate is fine, mind the hot weather was her main advice. So maybe Brad will not hover so much... yeah right. :) Not that I really mind.

So we made our next appointment for a week from Thursday (May 29th at 9:40am). She had openings earlier in the week but I figured a few more days might increase our chances of seeing something.

I'm feeling really positive and calm this time around. I think if I had not had the same experience last time with having only seen a sac I'm be worried but since we did have the same thing with Belle, I'm not. Brad seemed really happy too, kept saying "wow. this is really happening." I feel the same way... its like having that first appointment makes it more real.

We've started talking about when to tell people. For now we're going to wait until after the next appointment for sure. With Belle we told everyone at the 8 weeks point, which would be for this pregnancy, June 6th or there abouts. I'm anxious to tell, but also part of me enjoys the secret for a moment. Its like having a big surprise to spring on everyone... you want to tell, but you also love the suspense!



No comments: