Friday, May 9, 2008

Telling Brad


My original plan had been to wait until I had the viability test and then put the ultrasound picture in a frame with a picture of Belle in another frame and give that too him as a present to surprise him. He is starting a new job Monday so I could give it as a "Congrats for your new job" gift. Well I talked to the doctor and the earliest they could do the test would be the 20th. There is no way I could wait that long. Brad would start wondering and I would be unable to keep it quiet.

So instead I did this; I bought a frame that opens up like a book with a spot for a 4x6 on either side. On one side I put a photo of Belle and I from her birthday, on the other side I put a photo of Belle dressed as Princess Leia. On the photo with Leia I made a word bubble and wrote "I'm going to be a big sister!" in it and stuck it on the glass on the photo next to Belle so it looked like she was saying it. I wrapped it up and put it with a card congratulating him on his job.

I had to wait of course until we had a moment alone. Belle was asleep and he was finished playing a game. He went into the bedroom for something and brought in the gift. He said "yeah I'll open in the living room." I said "nah open it here while I put some socks on." ... I did need socks but it was an excuse. :)

He opened the card, then the picture. It was wonderful watching him. He saw the pictures and liked them, I saw him notice the word bubble, he paused and read it. The look on his face changed to a little confused, then he reread it. He looked up and said with a look of utter surprise "Are you serious?!" I by this time was tearing up and I pulled out the pregnancy test I'd taken that morning from my pocket and said "Yes." He then totally teared up and said "Oooh, my god! Wow!" He was so genuinely shocked, it was great!

Brad is very hard to surprise. But fate worked in my favor this time around. With everything else that had been going on this month we were still trying this, but not really aggressively. He admitted that with everything happening it had kinda not been in the forefront of his mind. So he hadn't been looking at the calendar and counting days.

I'm so glad I decided to tell him when I did. If I had waited then chances are he would have started looking at the calender and starting to question. This way he knows from the beginning and I got to surprise him.

After we hugged and kissed over the news I told him about the dreams I'd had that morning and talking to the doctor and when our first appointment was. We then talked about how we need to try and stay calm about it, that it is soooo early and thus to early to get really excited. We also talked about not telling anyone else just yet. It isn't that we don't want too... but we have been down this road before. It is too difficult on us to get everyone excited and then have to tell them it didn't take. We also talked about Belle and how we want her to know but how hard it would be on her to know and then have to be told that it wasn't going to happen.

So now we have a wonderful little secret. :)

No comments: