Friday, June 27, 2008

Constipation and Headaches (WARNING: To Much Information Post!)

If you can't tell by the title this post is about poop... or lack there of. So if you are easily grossed out or don't want to think about such thinks... skip this one.

Aside from the nausea and fatigue and just over all blah feeling I have every afternoon and evening I have also been very constipated. Which is a pain in the... well you can guess.

Monday, nothing. Tuesday, nothing. Wednesday I decided to try my only resource for relief... a ton of fruit and a Jamba Juice. I've been trying to stay away from those since, while good in vitamins and fiber... its a lot of sugar too. But come on.. I need to poop! And it isn't like I can take a pill for it.

Well it did the trick... Thursday I finally went. Not to be gross but good lord I felt 10 pounds lighter!

We'll see how things go from here on out but I might have to have a Jamba Juice a week to at least uh... cleanse the ole pipes. Kinda like drain-o for the pregnant lady.

The other problem has been headaches. Now I get migraines sometimes normally so I am use to them to some degree... but normally I can also dope up with tons of drugs when I get one. With Belle she actually temporarily cured my headaches. But this baby is just the opposite so far. Apparently the pregnancy hormones are not setting well with my head. Several days now I've been getting massive headaches that make me even more qweezy and miserable. Tylenol does zip for them too. I've tried an ice pack with little help. Heat helps a tiny bit but not enough.

I use to take a B complex to help with my head and it worked great! So I called my doctor and talked to a nurse about it. She said to bring in my B Complex vitamins Monday when I'm there for a blood draw and they would look at what all was in it and make sure it is all safe. In the meantime I can take up too 200 mg of B-6 a day. So I got some B-6 vitamins that are 50 mg and am starting by only taking one a day to see if that helps.

So far it might be doing the trick. I've not had a bad headache the last few days. A couple times I've had a tiny one or a start of one but nothing like I was having. So here is hoping that the B-6 is doing the job. The nurse also said B-6 helps with nausea... to that I say "HA!"

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh, constipation... I went a week at a time without going and it got worse with each pregnancy. Let's just say that 1/2 in 1/2 out is not the way it's suppose to be. The "little" things people don't share about pregnancy and then you think that you're a weirdo when you're experiencing it! Actually, you can take a pill or 6;). My midwife wanted me to drink Metamucil, but hello, I could barely eat food because I was so sick. Michael found Metamucil capsules!! I could do that and it saved me. I had to take 6 3 times a day everyday. Now you can go poo without the carbs:) Sorry the ice pack idea didn't help much. I was such a weird pregnant person I could barely digest food and I had to take digestive enzymes too. Can you believe I did this 4 times? But it's totally worth it once you're through the yuck part, but it doesn't feel like it while it's happening. I can't wait for you to get to the "fun" parts of pregnancy!

Tracey said...

I forgot to add one more thing my midwife had me use. It's called Mama Calm and it's a raspberry-lemon flavor drink. I got it from the natural/health foods store. It's a powder that you put into hot water (it fizzes at first!) and then you drink it like a hot tea. It's actually rather tasty and it is meant to help with getting going;) They use Stevia to sweeten it, not sugar. I like your B complex idea for headaches. I'm going to start taking my B stress tablets again because I've been having more headaches lately. (I'm staying up too late and getting up too early. Getting more sleep would probably help my headaches, but that would take stopping and going to bed and I don't do that very well...) Keep us posted how it helps you!

Jerusha said...

Thanks for the pointer on the Mama Calm drink. I'll look that one up!

As for the headaches... they're killin me. I got lazy on my b-6 vitamins and got a horrible one yesterday. I feel like I could get another today really easily so I'm going to be careful and try and eat right and drink lots of water.